We're fans of old churches and buildings, so when we heard the bells of Jesus' Church ringing our first night in the B&B, we knew we needed to check it out. The morning dawned crisp and sunny - perfect for a stroll in the Lake District. The church has an open-door policy and is still active, so we walked in and warmed our hands, and looked around the beautiful building.
The church was in existence in 1506 but the exact date it was built is unknown. Of course, the original building was taken down and the modern one was built in 1736. Inside, the beams from the original church can be seen. The altar at the front of the church is very old and the pews are angular wooden benches. Thankfully, some dear souls made cushions for each row, which make the pews far more comfortable.
The huge, stained glass windows at the front of the church are stunning, and not just because of their size. The colors are beautifully muted - deep greens, crimsons, navy blues, and golds. The detail in each portion is exquisite. The window was designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a painter, protege of John Ruskin, and a man who saw himself as a second generation Pre-Raphaelite artist. Upon his death, he was the first artist to have a memorial service at Westminster Cathedral. The beautiful greenery was designed by William Morris, friend and fellow Pre-Raphaelite artist with Burne-Jones.
The light windows in the tower is also from the original building while the clock is from the 1887 remodel. Somewhere on the gallery wall within is a painted coat of arms of King George II, painted in 1737. Sadly, I missed seeing that.
Obviously, the graveyard is pretty old, but still beautifully maintained. Snowdrops have taken up residence on many of the graves and they were prettily blooming that morning.
Three lych gates lead into the the cemetery and several old yew trees are also visible. The church is beautiful and peaceful and a must visit for the peace and tranquility within.